Translating Dungeons and Dragons: A Journey with AI Tools


A Night of Masks and Monsters
(A Requiem of Wings #1)
by Ashley Warren

On Saturday, I was asked if it was possible to translate a Dungeons and Dragons pen-and-paper game story into German because one of the players doesn’t have strong English skills. This request led me on an interesting journey where I utilized modern AI tools to assist with the translation. You can download the translated story using the QR code in the picture.

The process wasn’t too difficult, thanks to the AI tools that helped with formatting and improving the English writing. I translated the story into German and ensured it sounded more natural. I’m very confident with the result, so feel free to download it and hopefully, it will enhance your Dungeons and Dragons adventure.

I will use this experience as an example in my next course to help students improve their document writing skills. The goal is to teach them how to use better language, enhance formatting, and utilize various AI tools effectively. It’s important to understand that it’s not just about asking a question and getting an answer. We need to engage in a dialogue with the AI, instructing it to perform specific tasks like translating or formatting. After receiving the initial result, we can refine and rewrite it with the help of AI tools. This approach can help students achieve better exam results.

Additional Information


English-German as Word-File as PDF

The pen-and-paper game story I translated is “A Night of Masks and Monsters (A Requiem of Wings #1)” by Ashley Warren. This is an original one-shot adventure designed for 3-6 level 3 characters. It’s a DMsGuild bestseller, downloaded more than 9,500 times and played by parties around the world. The adventure has been newly redesigned and updated!

One of the challenges I faced was creating a layout to run the two languages synchronously in two columns. Additionally, Dungeons and Dragons has a special “game language” which I am not familiar with. So, don’t hesitate to send me a quote if you notice any errors. I will correct them.



Blog: , Seite:
Version: 1.3 Mai 2023, Kontakt: E-Mail Martin Wölker
Pirmasens, Germany, 2018-, ausgelesen am: , Licence CC BY-NC-SA




Kommentare